Sunday, November 18, 2012

Section One: Instructional/Educational Technology

How do the definitions in the first chapter compare to your own definition of instructional or educational technology? What experiences or other influences have shaped your definition? How has your definition changed from examining the definitions in the first chapter of this book?

I didn't see a significant difference between what I understand and what the book states, it was better worded of course. It gave much detail as well of the history of the field. The evolution of the definition of instructional technology and design was interesting too. My knowledge of the two are still somewhat limited as fas as experience goes due to the fact I am not teaching in a classroom at the moment. I am sure it will once I have my own classroom. As a student teacher last year, it was my first chance to see this in reality. As fas as changing my opinion not so much but definitely more insight as to the field and what it all entails.
2. Next, think of a lesson or unit of instruction that you have developed. Or if you haven’t ever taught or developed instruction, think of one that you have received. How does that lesson adhere or fail to adhere to the six characteristics of instructional design? How would you redesign it to better adhere to the six characteristics.

The only experience I have with lessons is my student teaching last year. When we created lessons for class we had to use Bloom's or the 5E model to ensure rigor and reliability of the material taught. The six characteristics remind me of the Bloom's Taxonomy in several ways. The school district that I did my student teaching in also used a predetermined curriculum so I did not have to create from scratch new lessons. This was a good thing and a negative as well since I did not get much practice creating my own stuff and not every lesson had a technology component. 
3. In the 3rd chapter, Reiser distinguishes instructional media from instructional design, excluding teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks from the definition of instructional media. Why? Would you consider teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks instructional media? Is the purpose of instructional design to incorporate media into instruction?

They were excluded because it is believed they are the primary source while instructional technology is secondary.
No, I agree with the books definition, somewhat sad but really more of a sign of the times, the chalkboard is being replaced by computers and the textbooks are being put on the web as well or are even being replaced by other materials. They are still a part of the classroom but are being phased out as more and more research is showing that the primary method of instruction is not the only way to deliver the instruction. Students have always learned in different methods, however, our society has not always seen this nor implemented that in the classroom like it is happening in todays classroom. More and more the classrooms of today are switching to the constructivist approach where the teacher is more of the facilitator and not the direct source of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment