Monday, November 19, 2012

Section 3: ETEC 561

 
1. Chapter 10 discusses evaluation in instructional design and provides you with two evaluation models, the CIPP and Kirkpatrick models for evaluation. Search for at least two other models used for evaluation and summarize these models. Describe how you would use them to evaluate your instruction.

The first model I would like to discuss would be by Robert Gagne who made a great impact on the educational field and also in the field of instructional technology. His books and models can be not only used for teaching with technology but with any lesson in my opinion. This was my first introduction to him for this assignment so I do not know much about him but from what I have seen it looks reliable and valid. It looks like methods I have seen in my very limited experience in the classroom. Below is a list that breaks down his theory of learning into nine categories.

In addition, the theory outlines nine instructional events and corresponding cognitive processes:

(1) gaining attention (reception)
(2) informing learners of the objective (expectancy)
(3) stimulating recall of prior learning (retrieval)
(4) presenting the stimulus (selective perception)
(5) providing learning guidance (semantic encoding)
(6) eliciting performance (responding)
(7) providing feedback (reinforcement)
(8) assessing performance (retrieval)
(9) enhancing retention and transfer (generalization).


The second method I would to discuss is the criterion-referenced measures (test). I based both of my choices on what I found in the book and then found on the Internet to back up my information. The only experience I have so far again is what my student teaching last year and with the STAAR that we have in the state of Texas and the curriculum that was and is still used in the district that I sub in uses this kind of testing. 


http://www.instructionaldesign.org/theories/conditions-learning.html


http://www.edtech.vt.edu/edtech/id/assess/purposes.html




2. Reflect on what other questions that instructional design evaluation should address besides whether the instructional design leads to comparable amounts of learning and learner satisfaction as traditional methods. What else would be useful to know?
 
The book in my opinion asks all the right questions I think it just a matter of us as the teacher to use those in our classrooms.  Below are some questions mentioned about formative/summative evaluation that I thought were good. (PG. 147)

Which one is requires more time to complete?
Which one is more expensive?
Which one do learners prefer?
Is this new instruction as good as our old form of instruction?



3. Chapter's 12 & 13 focus on project management and how to manage projects when resources are scarce. You have been assigned to develop a series of professional development sessions focusing on technology use in the classroom for teachers during a time of economic decline. How will you use Situational Leadership to facilitate this project and manage scarce resources?

I would of course use the four phases described in the book about Situational Leadership. I would set up my team and then tell them what were my expectations and when I want them completed. Communication is vital in every situation but especially when you are the one in charge and need to convey a message. The team I put together which may or may not have many people again because of budget, keeping that in mind you can still at the very least put together a slide show of what you can use in the classroom and mention in those slides websites that are FREE, key word there of course that the teachers can use. There is so much that you can do with the technology out there for free, the money goes towards the purchase of that equipment keeping that in mind I would stress this to my teachers that all available funds would be used to get the equipment and then show them what, how, when they could use it in the classroom during those training sessions.

4 comments:

  1. Shawna,
    Since you are relatively new to the profession, I would love to know what you think about the STAAR tests from your experiences last year. I know they are CRMs, but where I am teaching (Title I/Eco Disadvantaged)the English test in particular is material that is covered in Pre-AP classes and is completely mind blowing for a lot of our regulars. I think that is what went wrong last year with the results. This test is beyond the reach of many of our students and frutstrating for teachers. Hopefully this year will be better! :)

    I also like your idea of informing the teachers in your situational leadership scenario of all the free resources available to them on the internet. Many do not know what is out there for them to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen,

      I wish I had more to tell but unfortunately I missed out on when the kids actually took the test due to the fact that I was in my second rotation at a pre-k campus. I mostly just heard from fellow student teachers and their mentor teachers how it went. They had the same thing to say as you and yours, it was harder and students had a rough time with it. I remember though at the beginning of last year during inservice the superintendant warning us of this so I wasn't surprised when that was exactly what happened. The test over the years since it was the TAAS test back in my day has been made easier and now the expectations I think are swinging back towards that due to the low scores and massive educational gaps that we have in this country. I think this test was one way that the legislator had of trying to change that trend. But what do I know, just what I have been told by other teachers. :) I too worked and still work in a Title 1/Eco Disadvantaged area and everyday I see the gaps our students have and wonder how it will change for them in the future and for the next generation.
      As far as the free websites I can tell you that promethenplanet is the website for the board and has so many already made flipcharts on almost every subject. We also use coolmath.com abcya.com and starfall.com just to name a few websites that are great educational game websites that may not always be a good whole group on the pro board but are good to use in the computer lab. I would recommend starting out at prometheanplanet and from there they have links to other websites. Hope this helps sorry it is not more for I am still learning as well.

      Shawna

      Delete
  2. Shawna,
    I agree, I think the book demostates a great selection of questions when using research models.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with situational leadership! Communication is a vital component to being the one "in charge" and handling the situation. Very good information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawna: I am a HUGE fan of Web 2.0, and did not know about it before this summer. I think an introduction to these sites in schools is a necessity! I also know firsthand, that many teachers are not aware of the technology that is available to "loan out" on campus. Great job!

    ReplyDelete